Executive Director.Company: House of Healing
Date Posted: January 29, 2018
House of Healing is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization guiding teenage girls in healthy decision making, life skills, and confidence in their walk with Christ.
House of Healing is conducting a candidate search for the position of Executive Director. The ideal candidate is a visionary and strategic leader who can guide the organization into our next phase of growth. As the Executive Director, the candidate will have the unique opportunity to help build and shape the structure and direction of the organization by further developing our programs, leading the organization through a successful capital campaign drive, and strengthening our relationships with community partners and donors.
The Executive Director is the staff leadership position responsible for the overall management of the day-to-day program operations, finances, staff, and volunteers. The candidate will report directly to the Board of Directors.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT US
This is an exciting time at House of Healing. In 2016 House of Healing successfully completed Phase 1 of the capital campaign with the completion of the bunkhouse. We are now positioned to present Phase 2 of the capital campaign (equine arena) to our donor base and the community at large. The final phase of our capital campaign (Phase 3) will build residential homes on the House of Healing property to provide an environment of unconditional love and acceptance for teenage girls in need of a structured program to help them make positive change in their lives.
Our new Executive Director will have an opportunity to help shape the future of House of Healing. Through much work and dedication from current staff, board members, and volunteers, House of Healing is ready to launch Phase 2 of the capital campaign to build an arena for our Equine Experience program. Over 30% of the funds for this project has been secured before officially launching the campaign. Our programs will continue to expand in reach and impact as new buildings are constructed on our campus. The new House of Healing Executive Director will be our key leader to guide the organization during this exciting time of growth.
House of Healing has a loyal donor base. Since 2014, House of Healing has conducted a full annual campaign that includes quarterly newsletters, monthly emails, year-end appeal letters, annual reports, and branded fundraising events. We are a unique small nonprofit in that we have a strong marketing program. Our new Executive Director will be asked to spearhead our major donor fundraising and grant writing program, to support our ongoing operational expenses as well as fund phase 2 of the capital campaign. House of Healing will embark on Phase 3 of the capital campaign in 18-24 months.
House of Healing is making an impact for teenage girls and their families. House of Healing is impacting the lives of teenage girls and their families through the Authentic Girl Mentoring Program, Equine Experience, and Tools for Change. We help teenage girls overcome negative cultural influences that strip away their self-worth and confidence. Sometimes this is manifested in the form of a broken home, a current or past abusive relationship, peer pressure to participate in self-destructive behavior, or a deep lack of self-respect or self-esteem. Our goal is to support each girl no matter where they are on the spectrum of need. Some girls may need a stable environment to continue to make the right choices, others are deeply wounded and need a long-term program to establish a foundation of positive change. Our new Executive Director will have a personal calling to serve teenage girls and minister to the entire family.
House of Healing is financially strong. We carry no debt, and through the dedication of our volunteers, we are able to operate our programs with as little overhead as possible. The new Executive Director will lead us by keeping House of Healing debt free and by providing direct oversight to our fundraising efforts to ensure our annual gifts continue to grow.
THE TYPE OF LEADER WE ARE LOOKING FOR. IS THIS YOU?
“Leadership is the capacity to translate a vision into reality.” Warren Bennis.
LEADERSHIP. VISION. STRATEGY.
- A strong reputation for excellence, integrity, and passion for ministry.
- A visionary leader with the ability to translate the mission into practical steps.
- Works closely with the staff and key constituents to promote the organization’s mission.
- Provides strategic leadership and brings a fresh perspective by revisiting, refining and implementing the strategic plan and vision.
- Comfortable as a public speaker to serve as the primary spokesperson for House of Healing.
- Anticipates change. Adapts accordingly.
- Ensures the facilities and property are well-maintained and safe.
- Coordinates with mentors, staff, interns, and various volunteers to ensure the smooth administration of program activities.
- Conducts satisfaction surveys for volunteers, teens, parents and ministry partners.
- Is able to lead Christian devotionals.
- Oversees acquisition of equipment and supplies in order to meet operational requirements of retreats and programs.
- Creates and implements curriculum, schedules, and strategy for programs.
- Develops and implements a recruitment strategy to expand the number of teens and families participating in our programs.
- Oversee all church and ministry partner relations and associated events including recruiting volunteers, work days, and special projects.
- Serves as a liaison to churches/organizations.
DEVELOPMENT AND FUNDRAISING
- Stewards current partners and donors and identifies, cultivates and solicits prospective donors.
- Provides leadership and oversight to capital campaign fundraising efforts.
- Oversees donor acknowledgment process in a timely fashion.
- Cultivates large leadership gifts for operational support and capital campaign funding.
- Builds positive relationships with partner organizations, funders, and community leaders.
- Comfortable with corporate and community leaders and high net-worth individuals.
- Serves as the chief fundraiser, spokesperson, and advocate of House of Healing.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with private and public funding sources.
- Develops annual fundraising strategies and executes them in partnership with the Board.
- Ensures the success of House of Healing fundraising events by providing direct oversight.
- Writes grant proposals for local as well as national Foundations.
- Develops and implements plans for public relations and education to build awareness of the organization and its services.
- Facilitates relevant media and social media coverage to expand House of Healing’s exposure and reach in the community.
- Helps run monthly vision tours.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING
- Oversee the annual budget.
- Oversee the preparation of quarterly financial statements and annual fund reports to the Board.
- Monitors compliance with all pertinent financial, tax, and accounting review requirements.
- Ensures appropriate systems, procedures, and financial controls are in place.
GOVERNANCE. BOARD RELATIONS. MANAGEMENT.
- Leads the Board in development activities.
- Oversees scheduling and preparation of materials for board meeting.
- Manages and fosters relationships and communications with the Board of Directors.
- Participates actively in board meetings, and presents its members with the information necessary to support successful and informed planning and action.
- Identifies, assesses, and informs the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Experienced in leading organizational and operational change.
- Strong collaborator within and outside of the organization.
- Results-oriented record of achievement; the ability to set goals, meet deadlines and evaluate results.
- Able to manage multiple tasks, prioritize and maintain confidentiality.
- Well-organized and results-driven.Ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines.
- Mature Christian believer with strong biblical knowledge and in agreement with House of Healing’s statement of faith.
- Studies and applies God’s word to daily living and seeks God’s will for direction.
- Actively involved in local church and pursing spiritual growth.
- Willing to share personal testimony and faith.Able to lead in the Christian discipleship and spiritual encouragement of volunteer and teens.
- Leads with Christ-like humility.
- Hires, motivates, supervises, evaluates and mentors the organization’s team.
- Supervises staff and their activities.
- Creates a supportive, goal-oriented and productive work environment.
- Leads by example in integrity, service, and commitment to the mission.
- Open-minded, entrepreneurial at heart, and willing to learn from others.
- Energetic, with a good sense of humor.
- Ability to maintain and encourage open communications with staff, the Board, volunteers and the community.
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- Seven or more years of senior leadership preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.Experience with a non-profit capital campaigns is preferred.
- Experience in major donor solicitation is a strong plus.
- Experience in grant writing is preferred.
- Prior experience as a mentor to youth is a strong plus.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office software products.
- Familiarity with various donor database software solutions a plus but not required.
- Quickbooks experience is a plus but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to coordinate donations of food for retreats.
- Willing attitude in working with the rigors of the indoor/outdoor environment.
- Available to work beyond the regular work day for retreats or special events as needed.
- Professional demeanor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates should include a resume and a cover letter that expresses your passion for the mission of House of Healing and how you are a strong fit for the type of leader for whom we are looking.
Please include your salary expectations and how you learned of this opportunity. We request all submissions as .pdf files with the email subject, “Executive Director Application.”
Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.